christian writer

About

My photo
Ladysmith, Vancouver Island , BC , Canada
Hello, and Welcome. Please stay and browse awhile.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Good Friday

I enjoy reading various devotional books, especially old classical/spiritual writers but for the past year I've been reading Experiencing God's Presence by Chris Tiegren

His devotionals are dated for each day, but I never start on Jan 1st, or keep to the book's calendar, so it was a surprise today, to find that my reading was actually meant for December 25. I was quite amazed at how fitting my reading was for this day, which is Good Friday. The day when we remember the cost that Christ paid to redeem (buy back) mankind.

The reading reviewed Genesis 14 and also I Samuel 30, when both Abraham and David set out to pursue raiders who had stolen possessions, wives, and children. Both men, who are pictures of Christ, recover everything that was lost. And both give credit to God. In the end nothing was lost.

The core of the message is that our prince of Peace, Jesus, came to restore that which has been stolen from each one of us. One of Christ's primary missions is one of restoration. That's why He was born of a virgin and choose to die on a cross.

Many of us, battered by life's losses, challenges, and betrayals, have found ourselves emotionally bereft of wholeness. But the good news is, Jesus, the Prince of Peace came to give us peace; came into this world for the purpose of redeeming that which was lost.

The message of Christmas, of Easter, of Jesus, is one of hope. The only hope for humanity. Jesus can and will restore what has been stolen, taken, or just plain lost from you, if you'll ask Him. He will even give you back more, in return. He alone can redeem the losses of your life if you open your heart to him. It begins with a prayer of surrender. When we reach the end of ourselves, and recognize our inability to redeem our own failures, then God can begin to bring healing. I've added a prayer below. If this prayer is your prayer, I'd love to hear from you. My email is: beverleyrayner@aol.com. God bless you this Good Friday.

Father God, I've experienced losses, regrets and failures in my life. I realize that I haven't made the best choices, and although I've tried, I know that I don't measure up to your holy standard of right, pure and good. I feel broken inside.
Please help me God. Please come into my life, and take control. Save me from my own foolish choices. Make me new, God, and set my feet on the right path with you, as my friend and saviour. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment